This dip can be prepared up to 4 days in advance.
Reheat gently over medium-low flame, stirring constantly. Serve piping hot.
This dish is best enjoyed with our Estate Bottled Riesling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 oz./1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup sliced scallion for garnish
- Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Cooked Bacon, crumbled
- Tortilla Chips
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, melt the butter over medium flame. Add the onion. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pot and sauté an additional minute or so.
- Sprinkle with the flour, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper whisking well to combine. Cook over a low flame for about 1 minute.
- Whisking constantly, gradually pour in the milk. Continue whisking over medium flame until the sauce is thickened. Add the peppers and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the flame and slowly stir in the cheese, a handful at a time, incorporating well after each addition.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice and scallions stirring well to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with blue cheese and bacon.
- Serve with tortilla chips and your favorite Fielding Wine.