This dip can be prepared up to 4 days in advance.
Reheat gently over medium-low flame, stirring constantly. Serve piping hot.
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 large jalapeno peppers, minced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 cups whole milk
8 oz./1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
¼ cup sliced scallion for garnish
Blue Cheese, crumbled
Cooked Bacon, crumbled
1. In a large saucepan or stockpot, melt the butter over medium flame. Add the onion. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic to the pot and sauté an additional minute or so.
3. Sprinkle with the flour, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper whisking well to combine. Cook over a low flame for about 1 minute.
4. Whisking constantly, gradually pour in the milk. Continue whisking over medium flame until the sauce is thickened. Add the peppers and cook 2-3 minutes.
5. Lower the flame and slowly stir in the cheese, a handful at a time, incorporating well after each addition.
6. Add the cilantro, lime juice and scallions stirring well to combine.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with blue cheese and bacon.
8. Serve with tortilla chips and your favorite Fielding Wine.